Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Genuine Worship


Sometimes in the middle of worship, I catch myself. In the midst of the lights shining and feet tapping and hands raising, I pause, realizing that while I am singing these glorious truths about my Savior, frankly there are times when I really don’t mean it. 
How many times have we sang our hearts out to a God so deserving of our praise but fail to recognize the gravity of the words we are singing? Here I am, telling Him to take my life and let it be for His glory and that alone, when in reality, I’m not entirely sure if I would be okay with that. Sure, let my life be used for Your glory (just as long as I can keep my iPhone and four-car garage.) What if that meant giving away all you had to the needy and relying solely on God as your source of sustenance? 
These people draw near to Me with their mouth, and honor Me with their lips, but their hearts are far from Me. In vain do they worship Me. -Matthew 15:8-9
God deserves more than empty words and half-hearted prayers. Let our worship be a response to the love of a merciful and gracious Savior and a reverence towards His majesty. May it be based not merely on our emotion or the heart wrenching lyrics of the chorus but on the fact that while we are wicked, He is good- that despite our faithlessness, He remains faithful. God is seeking true worshippers that will worship Him in spirit and in truth, offering up their very lives as their spiritual worship.

No comments:

Post a Comment